Happy Friday, all you amazing Moppers. We hope everyone had an excellent holiday with friends and family, good food, and lots of laughter. We certainly did, and now that it’s all said and done, it’s time to turn our attention to the new year ahead.
Of course with a new year comes those resolutions. Resolutions that are always made in good faith, but somehow fall by the wayside the middle of January. Not this year, though. Right?
This time around we’d like to present you with some cleaning resolutions that are easy to make, easier to keep, and will have your home looking neat and tidy for all of 2018.
You might not think you have the time to clean every single day, but you don’t have to clean from top to bottom to make your home look great. By doing a few simple things each day, you’ll notice your living space will stay cleaner, longer, and you’ll develop healthy new habits that will do wonders for your psyche.
- Make Your Bed. It might not seem like much, but making your bed everyday will help start the morning off on a cleaner path, making it easier to tidy up other areas of the house.
- Hang Things Up. We’re talking towels, clothes you can wear again after one use…all those things that you would normally throw on the back of a chair. Put them in their rightful place if you want your home to stay to clean all year long.
- Pick Up at Night. Take a walk around each night before bed and pick up any bit of clutter that might be lingering. Newspapers, magazines, toys, and any stray dishes that didn’t make it into the sink after dinner. This way you’ll wake up to a neat home, which—combined with that bed you make—will feel awesome.
Don’t fret, because since you’ve been keeping things neat and tidy on the daily, your weekly cleaning tasks will seem a lot less daunting. Here’s three you can resolve to tackle in the new year.
- Vacuum. Unless you have a major dirt disaster, vacuuming your rugs weekly is a great way to keep things clean, and to stay on top of all those allergens that can get trapped in your carpets.
- Clean the Toilet. Cleaning and sanitizing your toilet each week will help keep germs at bay, giving you a cleaner, fresher bathroom in the new year.
- Dust. Dusting each week is the perfect way to keep your home clean all year long, and if you suffer from any type of allergy it will also help keep those at bay, too! Remember, dust from the top down for optimal cleanliness.
Whether it’s the last day of the month, or the first day of a new one, set aside some time to make these tasks your monthly duty, and since you’ve been keeping things cleaner each week, they won’t seem like such a big chore to get through.
- Clean Out the Fridge. We like to do this at least twice a month because we’re total clean freaks, but cleaning your fridge out once a month will suffice for these resolutions. Take everything out, toss any leftovers that have been lingering in the trash, and clean those shelves. When you’re done, put everything back in there along with a box of baking soda to keep things smelling fresh.
- Disinfect. Once a month, grab all the garbage cans around the home and disinfect them with a ratio of 3/4 cup bleach to one gallon of warm water. Scrub them, rinse them, and dry them out with a clean, dry cloth, or some paper towels. This will also help keep germs at bay, and help stave off any putrid odors you might have lingering in your home, because chances are they’re coming from your dirty garbage cans.
These are just a few, simple New Year’s resolutions you can make to yourself to help make your 2018 the cleanest year ever. There’s also seasonal cleaning in there, too, like spring cleaning when you wash the windows, flip the mattresses, and clean your window blinds, so don’t forget about that.
For now, you’ve got a great place to start with those daily tasks, so take it from there and trust us, once you get in the habit, you’ll never want to stop making your home feel fresh and clean.
That’s all for today, Moppers. We hope you have a great New Year’s Eve, and until next week, stay safe, and stay clean!